Leek, Onion, Cheddar & Thyme Quiche
- 200g Organic Spelt Flour
- 100g Organic Vegetable Margarine
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- 4-5 Tbsp Cold Water
- 1 Onion Peeled & Finely Sliced
- 1 Leek Finely Sliced
- 150g Organic Mature Cheddar Grated
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme
- 6 Organic Free Range Eggs
- 300ml Organic Double Cream
- 300ml Organic Milk
- Salt & Pepper
- Place the flour, margarine & salt into a mixing bowl then using your fingertips rub the mixture together until it resembles breadcrumbs, add the cold water & mix until it comes together to form a dough.
- Wrap the pastry dough in cling film & allow to rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, once rested remove from the refrigerator & place onto a floured surface then roll out as thinly as possible.
- Carefully line a loose bottomed fluted quiche tin with the pastry.
- Cover with baking paper then fill with baking beans.
- Bake the pastry case at gas mark 4 for 15 minutes, remove from the oven & remove the paper & beans then return to the oven for a further 2 minutes until the centre of the case is cooked through.
- Heat a little oil in a heavy based pan & gently fry the onions & leeks until cooked through, stir in the thyme & season well with salt & pepper.
- Place half of the grated cheese into the pastry case then add the cooked onions, leeks & thyme, put the remaining cheese on top of the onion & leek mixture.
- Pour the milk & cream into a jug & add the eggs, beat the mixture together until all of the eggs are fully incorporated, season well & slowly pour into the pastry case until full.
- Bake at gas mark 4 for 25-30 minutes until the egg mixture is set & the quiche is golden brown, allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing & slicing into 12 portions to serve.