- 250g Spelt Flour – Sieved
- 1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 2tsp Ground Ginger
- 1tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 75g Dark Muscovado Sugar
- 50g Raw Cane Sugar
- 100g Butter
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tbsp Golden Syrup
- Mix the Flour with the Spices and Bicarbonate of Soda until mixed thoroughly.
- Rub the Butter into the Flour mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar until mixed evenly.
- Whisk together the Egg and the Golden Syrup, add to the flour mix and knead until it becomes a smooth dough. If it is not coming together, add a teaspoon of water to help bind. Place the dough in the fridge to rest for 20 minutes.
- Roll out the dough until it is 0.5cm thick, cut your desired shape with a cutter and place onto a lined, flat baking tray.
- Bake on Gas Mark 4/180c for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool then decorate with Water Icing.